It’s now anticlimactic-Wednesday. So where is the Democratic party’s nomination process. I am personally proud that Colorado has caucused in favor of Bernie Sanders. Mainly, that is because I believe that we need to keep his progressive influence strong on the Hillary Clinton campaign. I’m sure she will be the ultimate nominee. I don’t think Bernie will, nor should, be the VP nominee. I think he is needed in the Senate.
If I’m right, then what is the situation in the Presidential contest assuming that Trump is the Republican candidate? To adopt the 47% Romney number, I believe that there are 47% of the voters in the country that have viewed Hillary as the enemy for much of the past 25 years, and will not vote for her under any circumstances. Clearly the 47% figure is arbitrary, but probably not too far off. So the challenge for Democrats is twofold: Make sure as many of the remaining 53% come out and vote for Hillary as possible, and discourage as many of the 47% from voting for Trump as possible. I believe the second challenge will be somewhat self-fulfilling. Of the anti-Trump voters in the Republican primaries, many will never vote for him and will stay home on election day.
So, it will be critical for the Democrats to get as many of the Bernie supporters to the polls to vote for Hillary as possible. I’m sure Bernie will help a lot. Hillary must start espousing his progressive philosophies. If she doesn’t, then his supporters will likely not show up for her. As always, the Democrats need a strong turnout. No surprise, that.